Tuesday, October 17, 2017

06/19/13 IT DOES NOT TAKE MUCH AND IT DOES NOT TAKE LONG

06/19/13 IT DOES NOT TAKE MUCH AND IT DOES NOT TAKE LONG

What you can learn from an, "Achey, Breaky Heart." I heard the title to this song the other day, and parts of the chorus keep coming to my mind. I never really knew the song, but I heard it enough to remember some of the chorus. So, what great spiritual truth does it teach?

Though it has been a long time since I heard this song, and even then it was not deliberate, a brief reminder kicked my memory into action, and involuntarily I keep hearing the chorus. No, I am not calling that sin. I am saying that even a brief, innocent exposure to an influence in our past can rise up to haunt us or bless us at a later time. This is why we should protect children from the dark side, from the nasty side of life, no matter where it is found. The less sin, defilement, corruption that they are exposed to (actually, this is true, regardless of our age), then there is less opportunity the devil has to afflict us with evil. Don't be the devil's helper in exposing children to evil. On the other hand, the more we expose them (and ourselves) to that which is good, pure, righteous, the more God will be able to empower us against sin.

Psalms 119:9-12
(9) ...Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word.
(10) With my whole heart have I sought thee: O let me not wander from thy commandments.
(11) Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.
(12) Blessed art thou, O LORD: teach me thy statutes.

Ephesians 5:15-17
(15) See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise,
(16) Redeeming the time, because the days are evil.
(17) Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is.

Philippians 4:8
(8) Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

Colossians 4:5-6
(5) Walk in wisdom toward them that are without (non believers), redeeming the time.
(6) Let your speech be alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.

And here is a passage that I chose to be a motto during my early days of ministry.
1 Timothy 4:12-16
(12) Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity.
(13) Till I come, give attendance to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine.
(14) Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery.
(15) Meditate upon these things; give thyself wholly to them; that thy profiting may appear to all.
(16) Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee.

Never underestimate the importance of positive influence and encouragement in spiritual development. This is true for ministry leadership as well as those they serve. Pastors should be cheer leaders, but they also need to be encouraged and stirred up by others who are walking close to Christ.

12/31/13 A CONSIDERATION AND A CHALLENGE FOR THE NEW YEAR.

12/31/13 A CONSIDERATION AND A CHALLENGE FOR THE NEW YEAR. Consideration... If a coach told his team everyday that they could not win their...