Thursday, October 12, 2017

01/15/13 PRECIOUS, DISTANT MEMORY

01/15/13 PRECIOUS, BUT DISTANT MEMORY

In another place, at another time, a young woman visited our church. She came from a Christian home and had been a follower of Jesus, but was straying and eventually she abandoned her spiritual roots.


We were sitting around one evening, talking, singing, sharing, when we learned that she could play guitar and sing. We coaxed her and she sang, "As the Deer." She sang and played beautifully, and she actually showed a quiet, humble spirit, but rather than the song sounding like a up-to-date testimony, it sounded like a precious, but distant memory.

Anyone can sing a song with their voice, and even with their emotion, but it takes an humble, loving, obedient believer to sing a song from the heart.

Song Lyrics and PASSAGE...
(meditate on this)

Take the time to read, to meditate on these thoughts. The lyrics in the song lift our hearts in praise and worship, the words in the Passage direct us in examining our hearts. As you think on these things, forget everything but the presence of God. Don't let the words echo in emptiness, let them resonate in reality.

"As the Deer."
by Martin Nystrom

Lyrics:

vs. 1
As the deer panteth for the water
So my soul longeth after thee
You alone are my hearts desire
And I long to worship thee

Chorus
You alone are my strength my shield
To You alone may my spirit yield
You alone are my hearts desire
And I long to worship thee

vs. 2
You're my friend and You are my brother,
Even though you are a king.
I love you more than any other,
So much more than anything.


Chorus

vs. 3
I want You more than gold or silver,
Only You can satisfy.
You alone are the real joy Giver,
And the apple of my eye.

Chorus

PASSAGE
Psalms 42:1-11

(1) ... As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God.
(2) My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
(3) My tears have been my meat day and night, while they continually say unto me, Where is thy God?
(4) When I remember these things, I pour out my soul in me: for I had gone with the multitude, I went with them to the house of God, with the voice of joy and praise, with a multitude that kept holyday.
(5) Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted in me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him for the help of his countenance.
(6) O my God, my soul is cast down within me: therefore will I remember thee from the land of Jordan, and of the Hermonites, from the hill Mizar.
(7) Deep calleth unto deep at the noise of thy waterspouts: all thy waves and thy billows are gone over me.
(8) Yet the LORD will command his lovingkindness in the daytime, and in the night his song shall be with me, and my prayer unto the God of my life.
(9) I will say unto God my rock, Why hast thou forgotten me? why go I mourning because of the oppression of the enemy?
(10) As with a sword in my bones, mine enemies reproach me; while they say daily unto me, Where is thy God?
(11) Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted within me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God.

12/31/13 A CONSIDERATION AND A CHALLENGE FOR THE NEW YEAR.

12/31/13 A CONSIDERATION AND A CHALLENGE FOR THE NEW YEAR. Consideration... If a coach told his team everyday that they could not win their...